A comprehensive assessment program shall be established and maintained to evaluate the total program of the District and to provide better guidance and counseling services to students and their families. The Board of Directors is responsible for granting approval for the evaluation and assessment program.
The Superintendent, with the assistance of his/her professional staff, shall develop standards and procedures to assess the educational program and student progress within each area of instruction.
Other types of assessments may be administered to individual students or groups of students. Testing for determining whether a student requires special education shall comply with federal and state laws. Persons administering individual psychological examinations of students shall hold a license as a school psychologist or be approved as competent to administer individual psychological examinations.
No student shall be required, as part of a program funded by the United States Department of Education, to submit, without prior written consent from the student's parent, to surveys, analysis or evaluation which reveals information concerning:
- political affiliations and beliefs of the student or the student's parents;
- mental and psychological problems potentially embarrassing to the student or the student's family;
- sexual behavior and attitudes;
- illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating and demeaning behavior;
- critical appraisals of other individuals with whom students have close family relationships;
- legally recognized, privileged and analogous relationships, such as those of lawyers, physicians and ministers;
- religious practices, affiliations or beliefs of the student or student's parents; or
- income, but not including income required by law to determine eligibility for participation in a program for or receiving financial assistance under such program.
Date of Revision: October 14, 2019
Every Student Succeeds Act, 29 U.S.C. 1001 et seq.; 20 U.S.C. 1232h; 256.11, 279.8, 280.3, 280.12, 280.14, Code of Iowa; 281 I.A.C. Chapters 12, 41
Date of Last Review: October 14, 2019
DECORAH COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS