Code No. 202.1
CODE OF ETHICS
The members of the Board of Directors of the Decorah Community School District adhere to the following Code of Ethics:
AS A SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER:
1. I will listen.
2. I will respect the opinion of others.
3. I will recognize the integrity of my predecessors and associates and the merit of their work.
4. I will be motivated only by an earnest desire to serve my District and the children of my community in the best possible way.
5. I will not use the schools or any part of the school program for my own personal advantage or for the advantage of my friends or supporters.
6. I will adhere to the requirements of the Iowa Open Meetings law and to laws on protecting confidentiality of personal information.
7. I will recognize that to promise in advance of a meeting how I will vote on any proposition which is to be considered is to close my mind and agree not to think through other facts and points of view which may be presented in the meeting.
8. I will expect, in Board meetings, to spend more time on educational programs and procedures than on business details.
9. I will recognize that authority rests with the Board in legal session, and not with individual members of the Board, except as authorized by law.
10. I will make no disparaging remarks, in or out of the Board meeting, about other members of the Board or their opinions.
11. I will express my honest and most thoughtful opinions frankly, in Board meetings, in an effort to have all decisions made for the best interests of the children and the schools.
12. I will insist that all members of the Board participate fully in Board action, and recommend that when special committees are appointed, they serve only in an investigatory and advisory capacity.
13. I will abide by majority decisions of the Board.
14. I will carefully consider petitions, resolutions, and complaints, and will act upon them in the best interests of the schools.
15. I will not disclose the confidential business of the Board in my home, on the street, or in my office; the place for such discussion being the Board meeting.
16. I will endeavor to keep informed on all local, state, and national educational developments of significance so that I may become a better Board member.
IN MEETING MY RESPONSIBILITY TO MY COMMUNITY:
1. I will consider myself a trustee of public education and will do my best to protect it, conserve it, and advance it, giving to the children of my community the educational facilities that are as complete and adequate as it is possible to provide.
2. I will consider it an important responsibility of the Board to interpret the aims, methods and attitudes of the schools to the community.
3. I will earnestly try to interpret the needs and attitudes of the community and do my best to translate them into the educational program of the schools.
4. I will attempt to procure adequate financial support for the schools.
5. I will represent the entire District rather than individual electors, patrons, or groups.
6. I will not regard the schools as my own private property, but as the property of the people.
IN MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT AND STAFF:
1. I will function, in meeting the legal responsibility that is mine, as a part of a legislative, policy-forming body, not as an administrative officer.
2. I will recognize that it is my responsibility, together with that of my fellow Board members, to see that the schools are properly run -- not to run them myself.
3. I will expect the schools to be administered by the best-trained technical and professional people it is possible to procure.
4. I will recognize the Superintendent as executive officer of the Board.
5. I will work through the administrative employees of the Board, not over or around them.
6. I will expect the Superintendent to keep the Board adequately informed through oral and written reports.
7. I will vote to employ personnel only after the recommendation of the Superintendent has been received, except for employment of a new superintendent.
8. I will insist that contracts be equally binding on the employee and on the Board.
9. I will give the Superintendent power commensurate with his/her responsibility and will not in any way interfere with or seek to undermine his/her authority.
10. I will give the Superintendent friendly counsel and advice.
11. I will present any personal criticism of employees to the Superintendent.
12. I will refer complaints to the proper administrative officer.
TO COOPERATE WITH OTHER SCHOOL BOARDS:
1. I will not help to employ an employee who is already under contract with another school district without first securing assurance from the proper authority that the person can be released from contract.
2. I will consider it unethical to bid for the services of an employee or pursue any procedure calculated to embarrass a neighboring board or superintendent.
3. I will not recommend an employee for a position in another school unless I would employ said person under similar circumstances.
4. I will answer all inquiries about the standing and ability of an employee to the best of my knowledge and judgment, with complete frankness, being careful not to overpraise nor to be unduly critical.
Date of Revision:
December 11, 2017
Chapters 21, 68B, 69, 71.1, 277.28, 279.7A, 279.8, Code of Iowa;
DECORAH COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS Page 3 of 3
5. I will associate myself with school board members of other districts, both personally and in conferences, for the purposes of discussing school problems and cooperating in the improvement of public school conditions.
Date of Review: December 11, 2017